All case studies
The London Insurance Market - Delivering Market-Wide Transformation
The London market is the largest global hub for commercial and specialty risk, employing over 48,000 people, and paying more than £140bn in claims in the last five years. We have transformed the way back office processing is done and have been instrumental in making the London insurance market what it is today – and will continue to provide powerful support into the future.
Lockton - Delivering agility in a dynamic market
Help a leading provider of ancillary medical services focus on strategic business growth without having to endure the pain of managing non-core back-end processes.
01 Xchanging worked with client to identify opportunity areas for process transformation to drive efficiencies and business value creation
02 Leveraging a combination of process re-engineering and a balanced global delivery model, Xchanging was able to deliver significant cost savings to the client
1 From a non-standardised operation to a process with defined timelines
2 Cost-per-invoice reduction from UK£2.5 to UK£1.2
3 Productivity gains of 116%
Delivered productivity gains of
RFIB - Flexibility and configurability to stay ahead of the game
RFIB operates in a highly complex environment that requires a seamless and integrated broking solution with multi-national capabilities.
RFIB needs watertight systems and processes to meet the stringent compliance requirements of a heavily regulated insurance market.
- RFIB uses the feature-rich capabilities of Brokasure to manage its entire wholesale insurance services business, including claims and policy administration for underwriting and broking.
- Brokasure offers the automation and management of intricate end-to processing of quotes, policies, transactions and claims, often in multi-currency environments.
- Enabling compliance – Brokasure enables RFIB to stay at the forefront of insurance regulations.
- Configurability – RFIB has direct input into Brokasure enhancements through the Brokasure User Group.
- Proactive partnership – Xuber’s continual process of review maintains efficiencies and to ensures standards of delivery.
“Xuber has a deep understanding of the challenges we face and the solutions we need to run our business,”
Mark Kinsella, Head of It, RFIB.
Howden - Transforming manual tasks to gain agility and advantage
Howden was manually producing, printing and posting a vast number of client statements, which was a time consuming task. Howden’s management team also required more accurate and up-to-date reporting.
- eStatements enables Howden to automate the preparation and distribution of client statements.
- SID Reporting Tool provides the ability for Howden to extract critical information from a central SQL database, and produce tailored reporting for its management team.
- People without an IT technical background can accurately access and provide up to date information as and when required.
- eStatements has enabled Howden to save money on postage and stationery, whilst also reducing technician workload.
- Push button, real-time data giving management teams a clear and accurate status update upon which to make decisions.
“We can see that Xuber is committed to keeping its product up to date and relevant, which is important to us.”
Jackie Hobbs, Business Process & Systems Implementation Manage, Howden.
Asta - Upgrading to deliver operational efficiencies and cost savings
When two syndicates transferred to Asta from another managing agency, there were a number of issues with its incumbent versions of Iris software. There was also a feeling of uncertainty as the software hadn’t evolved to meet demands.
Over a period of six months, Xuber helped Asta to upgrade Iris to a new feature-rich version to offer increased functionality.
- Dramatically reduced number of hours spent on monthly support for the old version of Iris.
- Increased competitiveness by meeting the unique needs of each syndicate through configuration and control.
- User acceptance and confidence in newly upgraded software.
- Increased self-sufficiency of syndicates by developing in-house capabilities.
“Xuber were innovative in coming up with a number of new solutions to our problems and delivered exactly what they said they would, on time and within budget.” -
Terry Spooner, IT Project Manager, Asta
Now Health - Creating a unique service standout in the IPMI market
As a successful Insurer by any yardstick, one of the many challenges created by organic and acquisitive growth is the ability to cost effectively manage the associated outward reinsurance programme. Existing processes were ‘creaking’ and action was required to address the complex data, reporting and compliance issues this was creating.
GLOBAL XLPro with Solution Design Study
“No matter where they are in the world, we have a seamless view of every customer throughout their entire lifecycle with us.”
Martin Garcia, CEO at Now Health
Hanover Re - Managing global risk exposure to achieve profitability
As a large and growing business, Hannover Re needed to gain an accurate picture of its portfolio and adopt a more formal and technical method of managing data.
A recent series of disasters around the world has seen the costliest year in the insurance industry’s history, and Hanover Re needed to standardise its approach to risk and data analysis.
- Using a series of state-of-the-art risk management approaches, Xuber Xposure™ allows underwriters and captive insurers to monitor exposure and analyse levels of risk against a variety of live, historic and “what if” natural and man-made disaster scenarios.
- Reduced double entries making work more efficient.
- Ability to estimate potential loss and to be able to benchmark with competitors within a very short time frame.
- Hanover Re underwriters highly satisfied with new system and the reports it generates, enabling quick and informed decision making.
“This has certainly helped our portfolio going forward, which has a direct impact on profitability.”
Matthias Hausknecht, Senior Manager, Corporate Development, Hannover Re
W. R. Berkley Syndicate - Reinsurance for the future
WRB needed a cost effective reinsurance system that would grow at the rate of its business, and wanted to benefit from the comprehensive functionality and compliance framework.
- Comprehensive functionality that is available ‘out of the box’.
- A Reinsurance system that was reliable, robust, easy to operate, delivering an overall first class experience of GLOBAL XLPro.
- A ‘future-proofed’ solution that is continually developed and advanced in line with market needs.
READ MORE HERE
“‘Following our selection process and initial system implementation back in 2012, it became abundantly clear to us that GLOBAL XLPro was ‘head and shoulders’ above the competition in every aspect.”
John Leppard, Technical Services Manager, WRB
HCCI - Automating reinsurance
As a successful Insurer by any yardstick, one of the many challenges created by organic and acquisitive growth is the ability to cost effectively manage the associated outward reinsurance programme.
Existing processes were ‘creaking’ and action was required to address the complex data, reporting and compliance issues this was creating.
GLOBAL XLPro with Solution Design Study
READ MORE HERE
‘’We are both very pleased and impressed with GLOBAL XLPro’s ability to capture the intricacies of our Outwards Reinsurance Programme and having done so, automate it’s administration.”
Nick Hutton Penman, Chief Operating Officer of HCC International
Generali - Adapting to the demands of an increasingly complex clientele
Generali provides tailored insurance solutions in a complex market with multi-company programmes, across multiple countries. The firm therefore needs to be able to adapt its services and
- Reduce Operational risk – by addressing the potential risk caused by an ageing system, supported by a diminishing pool of skills.
- Increase transparency – by improving the ability to see what was going on across the business
- Drive greater control – by enhancing the ability to manage and direct the business in an effective way
- Provide insight and accuracy – by creating a data foundation with the business tools to report on
Project Xcalibur was constructed from a number of components, all integrated to create a coherent and contemporary technological architecture, the main elements being:
- Xuber for Insurers - The Agencyport mission critical non-life Business Administration System
- Knowledge Centre - Document Management System
- Business Objects XI - Reporting System
- Risk aggregation and risk modelling solution
- Interface with SAP accounting package
- Generali now has mission critical technology that puts the organisation in an excellent position to address the pressures of today’s insurance marketplace.
- Clear line of sight to key information with tools to analyse and report on information.
- The new system provides easier access to information, automated processing and matching of policies, risks, and account messages.
“The Xcalibur project has created an adaptive, agile platform to respond to demands in a timely manner.”
Rajeeva Aluwihare, Generali UK Head of IT, Generali
AEGIS - Realising the value of data to fuel business growth
AEGIS London was using a reporting database that had grown in an ad hoc manner over the years. Over time, while expanding, upgrading and adding onto the system, some data had been sidelined and pockets of data emerged, and there came a point when AEGIS London’s anticipated future needs outpaced the solution.
- AEGIS needed a warehousing solution that delivered the right information on demand.
- The Agencyport OPEN Data Warehouse solution was a customised data warehousing platform designed to work alongside the provider’s existing policy administration systems.
- Based on an out-of-the-box product, it was customised to meet AEGIS London’s current and future objectives, and to work around its existing data sets.
- Business users now have access to better quality data, previously held in disparate systems, helping them to gain value from actionable insights and make more informed decisions in less time.
- Futureproof - the data warehouse is a flexible foundation designed to support AEGIS London’s business growth over the next 10 years.
- The reporting database is restructured to better identify business opportunities and threats. Furthermore, AEGIS London business.
“A simplified, validated source of data is crucial to the growth of the business. Now that we have OPEN Data Warehouse, we can work with confidence in our decision-making and reporting functions.”
Anant Patel, Head of IT, AEGIS London
Global Insurance Broker - Making The Leap From ‘Good’ to ‘Great’
Managed Business Processes
To help a top global insurance broker make its next big leap: become the provider of choice for integrated employee benefit solutions and grow revenue by 50% within five years
01 Enhance operational performance, optimise process efficiency, and instil a mindset of continuous improvement
02 Put to work our expertise in offshoring F&A processes including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general accounting, reconciliations, taxation, fixed asset accounting and reporting
03 Implement process improvements in a timely and effective way
1 Costs cut by 40% due to labour arbitrage
2 Quality up from 95% to 99.5%
Costs cut by
Quality lifted to
Global commercial real estate services - Leveraging BPM to save £5 million
Managed Business Processing
Rapid growth with an increase in workload strained existing F&A processes causing inconsistencies and creating broken manual processes and delays in key activities. Obtaining a holistic view of each customer was almost impossible.
Process re-engineering and automation for lease administration and service charges within finance and accounting.
- Cost Reduction - £5 million over five years
- Productivity Improvements - 32% improvement in process efficiency
- Compliance- 100% compliant with customer’s regulatory and audit requirements.
Global Real Estate Services Company - Reducing finance and accounting operations
Managed Business Processing
Coordination among several disparate locations was causing a delay in the turnaround of vendor payments and employee travel reimbursements, which were to be billed back to the clients.
- Delayed client billing for reimbursable travel expenses
- Too many touch points to setup new business in existing accounting systems
- Lack of control and accountability across multiple accounting offices
- Operational inefficiencies created by delayed transaction processing
Consolidate end-to-end Finance and Accounting functions into a single shared services model leveraging our real estate domain expertise.
- 40% reduction in F & A operating costs
- Decreased invoice processing time from four days to one day
- 30% productivity improvement
- 30% improvement in Travel & Expense (T&E) processing time
Global commodity trading company - Accelerating trade settlement
Mananaged Business Processing
Several disparate locations with different processes and technologies were causing a delay in the turnaround of trades and settlements, leading to:
- • Poor liquidity management
- • Inadequate levels of working capital
- • Forex losses from market fluctuations
- • Opportunity loss resulting from limited business insights.
- Recent acquisitions were also resulting in disparate and inefficient business processes.
Consolidate the processing of trades into a single shared services model leveraging Xchanging’s trading domain expertise.
- Reduced trade voids saving millions of dollars
- Faster settlement turnaround: Business critical – 4 hours. Normal 6 to 8 hours
- 75% improvement in bank reconciliations
- 40% reduction in operations cost.
- Reduced errors and lowered the cost of exceptions processing
- Increased STP rates and proactively managed workflow
- Gained a real-time, enterprise-wide view of critical business activities
- Demonstrated compliance with regulatory requirements, and the ability to respond quickly and effectively to evolving market needs
Global Healthcare Provider - Achieve Efficiency and Productivity
Managed Business Processes
To help the ancillary healthcare products client reduce its finance and accounting costs by reconciling accounts payable and receivable. The paper-based filing system was dependent on manual inputs and was unable to handle the increased volumes. As a result, the client incurred huge expenses related to this non-core activity.
1 CORE, Xchanging’s proprietary workflow management (WFM) tool automated a typical offshore setup
2 CORE replaced the paper-based version
3 All the received invoices were uploaded to the WFM database and underwent a rigorous and well defined process, for addressing instances of missing paperwork or erroneous manual intervention
4 Xchanging manages 22 end-to-end processes on behalf of the client
5 Implemented Six Sigma projects and Kaizen improvements to continue delivering efficiency gains beyond the early benefits of offshoring
In the first process fully managed by Xchanging AP invoice processing, we helped the client, realise benefits including:
1 Significant cost savings of approximately US$ 216,000 per year
2 Cost-per-invoice reduction from US$ 4 to US$ 1.86
3 Productivity gains of 116%
4 Transition from a non-standardised operation to an automated process with defined timelines
Hiscox - Streamlining claims management for business agility
Managed Business Processes
To help the client set up a Trade Processing Centre in Malaysia, in order to centralise the processing of some export L/Cs, for its units outside Germany. The objective was to gain a higher market share by reducing processing costs and realise economies of scale.
1 To set up a ready to use office environment, fully serviced, supported and managed by Xchanging
2 To establish an operational footprint in Malaysia, thus allowing the client to focus on achieving strategic business outcomes
1 Minimise capital investment in the initial set up
2 Gain control on costs with a fixed price of services from Xchanging
3 Achieve optimal utilisation of available skilled local talent, at lower costs
Global Personal Technology Company - Perfect Product Testing
To help a renowned manufacturer of laptop PCs optimise its product testing resource
01 Offer immediate and attractive cost savings from our testing laboratory in Singapore
02 Demonstrate world-class credentials in Product Assurance (PA)
03 Provide the required resources for qualifying new systems, sub-systems and applications for the customer
1 The customer can now rely on support from over 40 technically certified professionals spread between Japan, Singapore, Malaysia and India
2 We have consistently achieved customer satisfaction levels of more than 90% in PA services
Customer satisfaction levels of more than
Gatwick Airport - Managing the network for the world's busiest single runway airport
Create a common IT infrastructure for Gatwick airport
01 Provide a managed service for wired and wireless networks across the airport
02 Align this service to ITIL V3 standards
03 Deliver 24 x 7 x 4 monitoring of services, incident and problem management, and management of change
04 Install a dedicated onsite delivery team, including service management
05 Provision a Shared Network Operations Centre for remote monitoring and maintenance
06 Deploy Enterprise class monitoring tools
1 A secure, reliable, flexible and fast network (wired and wireless) was created
2 Reflecting the customer’s confidence, Xchanging was awarded a further contract to provide the airport’s End User Computing Services
3 The passenger experience has been transformed
“The wired and wireless network we now have in place is secure, reliable, flexible and fast to meet the needs of the latest airport applications…”
IT Service Director Gatwick Airport
Independent Energy Trading Company - Energising IT Performance
To achieve major savings through more efficient IT infrastructure management for one of the largest independent energy trading companies in the world
01 Assess the requirement
02 Scope the impact that could be achieved through architectural change
03 Consolidate the customer’s application servers into selected data centres
04 Standardise the desktop across the organisation
05 Initiate a WAN optimisation exercise
1 We reduced data on WAN links by 75%
2 We gave the business visibility of its network capacity
3 We improved application performance
4 We cut the support overhead
5 We improved data backup and security
Data on WAN links reduced by
Ministry of Education, Malaysia - World’s first nationwide cloud-based learning platform
Driven by the desire to better equip Malaysia’s children with the knowledge to thrive in the 21st century, the Ministry of Education, Malaysia, undertook a comprehensive review of its education system in 2011, resulting in a new vision for 2020 that would transform Malaysia’s learning environment.
To unite teachers, parents and students within a community of online learners and real-time content exchange, Xchanging brought together and managed selected strategic partners to create the world’s first nationwide cloud-based learning platform over 4G, connecting 5.5 million students, 10,000 schools, 500,000 teachers and 4.5 million parents.
The successful implementation has catapulted Malaysia to the forefront of next generation learning, enabling it to become the first country in the world to connect all of its schools through a single learning platform:
Students are now able to:
1 Access a wider range of content that is more relevant, engaging and interactive
2 Learn at their own pace, from any location at any time
Teachers and principals are able to:
1 Access both national and international learning resources and communities to help them improve their practice
2 Realise cost and time savings through the cloud based delivery of content, replacing the original need to services and update servers in all 10,000 schools
“We chose Xchanging for its robust global managed network services capabilities and ability to deliver the connectivity, the security, the reliability, and the functions that were essential for learning environments.”
Deputy Minister for Education, Malaysia
YTL Communications - Partners in Innovation
Xchanging partners with YTL Communications to bring down the bill generation cycle to 1 hour from 45 hours
YTL communications aimed to be one of the key players offering 4G network within the education vertical in Malaysia. they were looking for a partner, who could bring to the table, an IT infrastructure and expertise to enable YTL to compete effectively by taking the overall offerings to a higher level, thus enabling better services to their customers.
Xchanging has partnered with YTL to develop and deliver enhanced mobile internet and cloud-based hosting offerings in Malaysia. The partnership combines Xchanging’s technology, delivery expertise and international domain knowledge, with YTL communications’ award winning 4G network and market reach to deliver next-generation, mission-critical cloud solutions and platforms.
We are offering the following key services to YTL:
01 Xchanging supports YTL’s enterprise sales by providing unique solutions for the SME (Subject Matter Expert), enterprise corporate markets and government
02 Our experts manage a cross-spectrum of operational and implementation services, which encompass capacity planning and architecture, ensuring BCP (Business Continuing Planning) / DR (Data Recovery) planning and management, Mobile apps, Functional, testing, regression, load and test automation, etc
03 Xchanging created a process that enables the entire customer onboarding when the systems fail. In addition, we support YTL in the channel sales process lifecycle and in back office support for HR, flagship stores and asset management, website and campaign management, and digital marketing.
1 Duration of bill generation cycle reduced to one hour from 45 hours taken previously
2 Bill publishing time too brought down from 3-4 weeks to the same day
3 Cost of the bill reduced by 7.5%
4 Improvement in user access of web portal resulting in improved customer satisfaction. The login time has been reduced from more than 35 seconds to less than 5 seconds; and page navigation time reduced from more than 45 seconds to 5-15 seconds
Isle of Wight Council - Delivering reliability of service across the Isle of Wight
The council’s existing LAN required upgrading when a new council-wide, electronic document management system was required to improve the efficiency of its operations. Supporting users across the island, the council needed a reliable, high-performance, flexible network offering 99.999 per cent availability and high levels of network-wide quality of service.
- Extreme Networks Modular Black Diamond core chassis switches for advanced scalability, resiliency and security features, with stackable Summit fixed-configuration switches delivering high-performance multilayer Ethernet switching to the network edge.
- Citrix thin client environment for 450 users located all over the island, to deliver SWIFT, a dedicated social care application.
- Zero-downtime: In the event of a problem, switch management control is transferred to a back-up module without any traffic being dropped.
- Future proof: A high-performance, scalable and flexible core network to meet the future needs of the Council’s user base.
- Lower TCO: Excellent returns on the Council’s investment compared with other products on the market.
“Data Integration’s responsive, customer-focused approach makes the company easy to do business with. We’ve benefited greatly from their expert network design, professional project management, and single point of contact support. ” - Roger Brown, ICT Operations Manager, Isle of Wight Council
London South Bank University (LSBU) - Differentiating through IT
Meeting student demands for IT services is a key point of differentiation in the HE sector. With 23,500 students bringing their own devices and demanding access to bandwidth-hungry applications, LSBU’s old network was under pressure from the perspective of performance and security. LSBU also needed a network that would support Unified Communications in the future.Meeting student demands for IT services is a key point of differentiation in the HE sector. With 23,500 students bringing their own devices and demanding access to bandwidth-hungry applications, LSBU’s old network was under pressure from the perspective of performance and security. LSBU also needed a network that would support Unified Communications in the future.
- 7000 port network across 14 buildings designed with a resilient core based on Extreme Networks BlackDiamond core switches split across two data centres.
- SuperJANET connectivity secured with Juniper ISG firewalls and Fortinet multi-vector anti-virus gateways.
- ForeScout CounterACT deployed to ensure student security policy compliance.
- 24x7 network monitoring and Data Integration engineer embedded on-site
- Time sensitive: Infrastructure upgrade completed during tight window of LSBU’s Summer break.
- Secure: SSL VPN enables staff and students to work remotely, all running the latest anti-virus software, with any unusual network activity quarantined.
- Operational efficiency: LSBU IT runs with 12 fewer IT staff than its competitors and costs £1.5m less.
“We’re now delivering our students first class IT services, and can enhance learning and our ability to teach them through our IT.” - Wojtek Adamek, Director of ICT, London South Bank University
University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust (UHL) -
Key to delivering high standards of patient care, Frontline NHS staff often work long and unsociable hours in a stressful environment.
With operational costs of supporting remote access escalating, UHL needed cost-effective, secure and flexible home working facilities for staff, with minimal set up and support.
Collaborative working with suppliers, partners and other third parties was also a requirement.
- SSL VPN solution comprising two Juniper SA Series appliances in a High Availability pair.
- Swivel PINsafe SMS token-less two factor authentication.
- Fortinet Fortigate EAL4 approved firewall.
- Symantec Sygate on Demand Protection (SODP).
- Two-factor authentication via SMS based system to save cost.
- Easy to use: Reduced burden of remote access support calls for UHL IT helpdesk through intuitive user interface.
- Collaborative: International suppliers of clinical applications use the SSL PN to provide UHL with support.
- Reduced cost: Over £30k per annum saved on remote access.
- Secure: Controlled access even on users own devices.
“The main benefit has been reduced costs at a time when the Trust is trying to reduce revenue expenditure. The other big benefit has been better security.” - David Rose, IM&T Technical Architect, UHL
Nasdaq BWise - Long standing partnership of outsourced support yields rewards
To deliver innovative and sustainable solutions within the complex GRC environment. To strengthen its company footprint in the APAC and MEA regions and beyond, as part of ambitious expansion plans.
- Xchanging delivers full time BWise Certified Implementation Consultants (BCIC)
- Xchanging BWise support group is responsible for providing first level problem determination and application support to BWise customers.
- Application management services.
- Increased operational efficiencies and focus on core business competencies through outsourcing.
- Cost savings through outsourcing resulting in competitive pricing to win key contracts.
- Zero downtime through shared delivery model.
“Xchanging demonstrated excellent knowledge, motivation and determination.” - Rob van Straten, Global Head of Sales and Delivery at BWise
Spanish Food Business - Helping to create a new procurement competitive edge
To aggregate their spend and centralise the procurement decisions to maximise synergies between the different factories and locations, thus creating greater visibility, control and to deliver new savings.
Provided a comprehensive co-sourcing solution for multiple indirect procurement categories. A complete partnership which sees Xchanging fully integrated into the client’s internal teams and processes.
Proven ongoing savings, tracked straight to the bottom line.
Federal Mogul - Accelerated results through leading-edge procurement technology
Support the successful integration of an acquired business by quickly identifying and delivering procurement efficiencies as well as utilising savings potential.
Leverage a seamless procurement platform that combines eSourcing, purchasing and market intelligence, supported by ‘Procurement-as-a-Service’, which provides people, technology and expertise as a managed service.
Federal-Mogul achieved spend benchmarking, identified new category savings up to 39% and implemented quick project turnaround.
Global Telecommunications Provider - A complete model for controlling IT tail-end spend
Deliver new savings through greater control & visibility of their entire supply base spend.
Implemented a complete tactical sourcing model and change management programme to manage all areas of spend.
Generated 14.5% of realised savings in year one and reduced their overall number of suppliers.
McCarthy & Stone - Delivering procurement transformation change
To build a central procurement process to control supplier costs and maximise efficiencies.
Utilised Xchanging’s Procurement-as-a-Service offering, combining insightful MM4 eSourcing technology and procurement advisory expertise to manage and optimise each sourcing event.
Within 8 months McCarthy & Stone saved over £7million on a £31million spend.
Global Leader in Premium Chocolates - Delivering world class procurement
Lacked the internal capabilities and resources to manage their indirect procurement.
Through our unique Co-Sourcing model, Xchanging provides services covering the entire Source-to-Contract cycle, including spend analytics, strategic sourcing, contract management, supplier implementation and compliance management.
Enhanced performance and accountability through savings, expert category management, professional change management and supplier leverage through spend aggregation.
Chep Europe - A transformational procurement relationship
Upskill CHEP Europe’s existing team and transition to a more strategic procurement model to deliver greater value to the business.
Xchanging provided strategic sourcing and tactical procurement as a managed service across CHEP’s pan-European categories. Through in-depth spend analysis, Xchanging identified strategic sourcing and tactical initiatives for their regional and local categories.
Xchanging delivered an average spend reduction of 13% across all categories which have been tracked all the way to the P&L.